Sunday, October 19, 2008

Special Olympics State Games

As some of you know Spencer has been coaching the Lehi Special Olympics Basketball team since August. The team has been doing really well and won gold at the regional games. However, the real competition was this past weekend at the state games. It was both Friday and Saturday and the Lehi Knights put up a good fight winning 2 out of the 5 games they played. They ended up coming in 4th place in their division - not bad at all. I didn't get to go up Friday but both Kate and I went with Spencer on Saturday to help cheer them on. It was so neat to be there. All the players are so fun to watch because they find joy in the smallest of things. There was a game where we were down by a lot so the other team let up so some of our players could make a shot or two. The excitement on their faces when the ball went in the hoop was priceless. It really humbles you to see how loving they are towards each other and how just getting a chance to play makes them so happy. I'm so grateful for a husband who loves to serve and genuinely cares for those people he serves.



Here are some pictures I took at the games. Most are fuzzy because I was trying to hold Kate back from running out on the court. Our team is in the white shirts with purple sleeves.


Kate sitting on the sidelines watching and cheering when everyone around her cheered.


Half way through the day they provided Chick-fil-a lunch bags. They were so yummy! The place where they provided he food was called Olympic Town. They had a few booths and some music playing. I even got some cotton candy!



After we were done eating we took a walk and Kate went straight for the music. I got a video of her breakin' it down in the middle of the park.




Here's a picture of the whole team with their ribbons they just won. Another year down and lots of good memories to go with it!


3 comments:

Moghimi Family said...

Go Lehi Knights! That is so cool.

Anthony and Rachel Orme said...

Break it down Kate!!

Mallory Clan said...

I've always been so impressed with Spencer and just how wonderful he is with these special individuals. He truly has a gift. Congrats Knights!!